banner
MORE DERBYSHIRE SUNDIALS
Full index
blueline
Bolsover | Dethick | Edensor | Hassop | Kedleston | Mugginton | North Wingfield | Winster | Wirksworth
blueline

This is a list of sundials that may not be shown in the main index. Some items are mentioned in historical records, but can no longer be seen.

blueline

 Bolsover
Bolsover The sundial can be seen on the wall of the Cavendish Chapel, which was built onto the church of St Mary in 1618 to house a monument to Sir Charles Cavendish and his wife Kathleen Ogle of Bolsover Castle.
Above the sundial can be seen the Cavendish family motto "Cavendo Tutus".
The church was almost destroyed by fire in 1897, but the Cavendish Chapel remained relatively undamaged.
Today little can be seen of the dial engraving, erosion having taken its toll as with many of these old sundials. The gnomon has gone, iron stained holes show where it was once attached.

^^^Back to the top

Dethick
This sundial stands on the west side of the church of St John the Baptist, close by a yew tree. The metal horizontal dial is octagonal and is mottled with age. Some Roman numerals may just be deciphered. The style of the gnomon has a scroll support. The dial is set directly on a square stone pillar, tapering down to a square plinth to which it is attached with a lead seal. It stands about 4 feet high.
According to Fisher (1936), the dial is inscribed "Ralph Gosling", but this was not discernible in August 2000.

^^^Back to the top

Edensor
This horizontal dial is in the churchyard of St Peter's in the model village of Edensor on the Chatsworth Estate. The dial is set on a square stone base at the top of a round stone column, over 60 inches in height, rising from four square stone steps themselves 30 inches in height. The brass dial which may not be the original, has a green patina. It has Roman numerals.
As the dial face is so high, it may be considered more decorative than practical!
Critchlow believes that the column was originally the shaft of an ancient cross.

^^^Back to the top
Hassop
Declining Wall Dial
Photo by Mark Atkinson
This declining wall sundial is to be found over the entrance to the Hassop Hall Hotel
The history of the estate goes back hundreds of years.
Following is an extract from "Manors and Families of Derbyshire Volume 1 A to L" edited by Peter Naylor.
"The present house replaced an earlier one and was built in 1827-33. the original estate of 20,000 acres was with the Eyre family from 1498 to 1853.
In 1853 the house went to a relative by marriage of the Eyres.
It was brought by Colonel Henry Stephenson Bt, whose descendents sold it in 1962."

^^^Back to the top


Kedleston
On the wall under a south facing window of Kedleston church is this ancient scratch dial. Scratch dial It is 10" (27cm) wide, and consists of a double semi-circle and radiating lines.

At the centre was a hole, now filled in, for a stick gnomon which would have protruded from the wall. The time being taken from where the shadow passed the combination of lines and small shallow holes.

^^^Back to the top


Muggington
Fisher (1935), described a transitional dial in two parts on the buttress at the south east corner of the church. The left hand part had a metal gnomon, with lines ending in Roman numerals from XI to III with dots of the same number underneath, while on the right hand side the gnomon was missing, but the numerals from IX to I and the dots were there.

South East face, the gnomon on the sw face can be seen to the left When visited in January 2001, we found the gnomon on the left (south west) side of the buttress at a height of about 9 feet, it was corroded to the extent that it had separated into two pieces, the only marking still visible on the wall is the Roman numeral III. The hour lines are no longer visible.
However the right (south east) side is in a better state of preservation. Holes can be seen where the gnomon was mounted, and other holes possibly going back to earlier scratch dial origins. From the top hole hour lines can be seen radiating out to Roman numerals IX, X, I and II, and a pattern of holes similar to ::::

^^^Back to the top

 North Wingfield
North Wingfield churchyard The dial was missing when viewed in November 2000 from this horizontal sundial in the churchyard of St Lawrence. The pedestal remains, about 5 feet in height overall, it has a square base with a step on one side, a round column, with a square stone top. The octagonal shape of the missing dial is outlined in a lighter shade on the dark stone.

... Scratch dial
Fisher (1935) described a dial on the easternmost buttress of the south side of the chancel, at a height of 63 inches, consisting of a double semi circle of 6 inches dia. At that time the lines seen were mostly to the east, the west side being badly weathered.
When we visited in November 2000, we were unable to find any trace of the dial, although it was mentioned in a village guide of 1986. The surface of the stones was flaking, perhaps as a result of industrial pollution.

^^^Back to the top
Winster
Declining Wall Dial
Photo by Peter Rodger
Click here for another view
In 1721 the churchwardens of the parish church of St John the Baptist purchased a new pedestal sundial for the churchyard.
The account reads:

For sinking and setting the stone of the Dial.......10d.
Given in Ale for assistance in setting up at.......1s. 0d.
For 2 horses and 2 men fetching the Dial Stone.......2s. 0d.
For lead for the Dial.......4s. 0d.
Paid Ralph Bark for the Dial Stone.......11s. 8d.

The old stone column remains and there are traces of ironwork on the top, which may have been the fixings for the old dial. A modern brass dial has been placed there as a memorial to Eric Rodger, who died in 1985. It was made by Brian Asquith.

^^^Back to the top


Wirksworth
There is an old vertical sundial on the wall of a house in the town of Wirksworth, and is pictured on John Palmers website of parish records.

^^^Back to the top


References

F N Fisher -
i) "Derbyshire Scratch Dials". An article in Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, volume 56. Dated 1935.
ii) A letter in Derbyshire Advertiser Notes and Queries, Volume 13, page 62. Dated 22nd May 1936.

Joyce Critchlow -
"Derbyshire Churchyards", published J H Hall and Sons, Derby, 1993.


Bolsover | Dethick | Edensor | Hassop | Kedleston | Mugginton | North Wingfield | Winster | Wirksworth

 
Hassop Hall